Tips about a trip to Kiev
..IT IS OBVIOUSLY WORTH KNOWING..
- Visa is not required for EU, Canada and the USA citizens.
- Ukraine does not recognize dual nationality.
- Credit cards are not widely in use, so have cash at hand.
- You can easily change money in the centre. But remember that they are not 24-hours open, so do it before 8 pm:)
- Tipping 10%
- Medical care below western standards.
- The city looks its best during the chestnut bloom.
- Kiev is generally a safe place for tourists. People are very friendly, warm, welcoming and generous.
- Ukrainian cuisine is known for the variety of cooking methods.
- Don't forget to try "salo" (Ukrainian lard) and vodka.
- Drinking in public places is allowed.
- You should boil the water before drinking.
- CDs and DVDs are much cheaper in Ukraine than in western countries.
- Most hotels are overpriced and of surprisingly poor quality. Instead it is better to rent an apartment.
- If you bring flowers, make sure it is an odd number of flowers.
- Never whistle inside the house. It means that there will not be any money in the house. :) (Ukrainian superstition).
- In Orthodox Churches women wear scarves or hats, and men take off their hats.
- Be prepared to take off your shoes upon entering a house. In most cases you will be provided with a pair of slippers.
- Don't take the garbage out in the evenings. :-) (Ukrainian superstition).
- It can be very dark at nights, especially in neighborhoods and back yards. You'll need a pocket torch if you are not in the main streets.
- Always carry your international passport with you (or just any identity card) because you might be stopped by a police officer in the street and asked to prove your identity.
- Few people in the street understand English.
- Don't you ever take part in any "street lottery"! Your mission in Ukraine is not investing into the shadow economy:)
- Keep an eye on your belongings, passport and money! There's a particular attention to foreigners from pick-pockets.
- Always punch your ticket while on a bus or trolley bus.
- "Marshrutka" (a minibus) will offer you a fast ride for little money.
- If you come in summer, take your bathing suit. Apart Dnipro river, there are a lot of lakes in all the districts of the city.
Go to ID:
Exchange in Kiev